Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Aim Is True (NJ)



So this post is pretty much about a band as a whole. The reason for that is that their entire discography is good, plus they only have like ten songs, so mind as well listen to them all. Y'all probably won't dig most of their stuff, but this is the band that got me into pop punk.

      My Aim Is True started some time in 2006-07 or whatever. Whenever myspace was big, and you could actually get famous from your internet rep (fuck you, bands who whore out for facebook likes, it doesn't work, and it makes me hate your band). This band added my band on myspace for some reason, and I clicked on them to laugh at them because they dressed like early scene bands, or something. Anyways, their first (I think) EP is called You're Just Catching Up. It's easy listening, in the veins of Put Up Or Shut Up- era All Time Low (but better and more upbeat), featuring some early Four Year Strong-esque double bass (which is surprisingly tasteful, and a full two years before every single band wanted to be chuga-chuga-pop-p0nx). While the songs are as straight forward as pop-leaning pop punk can be, there's something different about these songs, which just seem well... well written. You know how Fall Out Boy wrote power chord based pop punk, but it still seemed like good songwriting? Well, like that. Anyways, I think they toured, but maybe they didn't. I don't know, I was like 16, give me a break. My favourite tracks on this (the ones I deemed worthy to put to my 70 song playlist which my mom allocated to me on her iPod) include the acoustic-into-fast-do-do-do-ing "One Night Hand", "Pantomime Circa 1999" which is definitely the most sing-a-longable song I've ever listened to (but you've listened to better), and "A Valentine" which is a straight forward, no gimmick poppy-punk song. Hell, there's only like 8 songs on this EP, so just listen to them all. They're all really good, so smarten up.

Anyways, they released a couple other songs after, which weren't as good. They had that annoying "we're going to use autotune, but we're going to use to much so that you can't see that we actually need it" (the singing from You're Just Catching Up is pretty good, so I don't know?).  They're still pretty decent, I recently bumped them, and they were okay. Still doesn't hold a candle to their former stuff.

Anyways, I lost track of this band, but I think they stopped playing shows and releasing music at the same time I stopped listening. To be honest, they were some local band I knew I'd never be as good as, so that was the main reason I moved on. Then last year, sometime in 2010, they released a couple songs which sounded nothing like their old stuff. I hated it back then, because it was slow, deep-sounding, and not pop punky. I just listened to it, and I think I like it almost as much as the old stuff. It's some really heavy (in the actual sense, not it the "down-tuned guitars and growls" sense) shit. It's atmospheric with a ton of reverb, it's got some emo lyrics and cool noodly guitar riffs. A couple songs have those chaotic messy-noisy parts that emo bands like. The vocals are more distressed, and sound more... mature. So it's like Atmospheric emo/pop-(but not) punk. So TPS elite, you'll probably like the new stuff better.
FFO: (Early): New Found Glory, Fall Out Boy, The Starting Line, All Time Low, Four Year Strong
(Newer): Dude, I don't even know. If you like emo, but also like pop, then this is the band for you. Like a better Transit, but with a few Old Gray-y riffs, and a lot of cool atmospheric shit.

So here's the link to their stuff:
You're Just Catching Up (2008)
The other pop punk songs
Their new songs are on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment