Wednesday, December 28, 2011

State Lines - Hoffman Manor (2011)

1. Driver
2. Getaway
3. You Were a Hurricane
4. Cancer
5. Garvey
6. Cheers, Belmonte
7. Probably in a Notebook
8. My Friends
9. House
10. Hoffman Manor

State Lines are a pretty rad young band out of Long Island, NY, who play music that sorta reminds me of Tigers Jaw, The Story So Far and Into It. Over It.. Hoffman Manor is their debut release. Considering their age (judging from a couple live videos and photos, a couple of the members can't be older than 16-17, maybe 18), this album is totally exciting: I like it more than the most recent albums by the three bands I mentioned earlier.

You should be pretty hooked in by the first track, "Driver," and you'll definitely hear the TJ comparison. The vocal harmonies on this record aren't exactly sophisticated, but they're fantastic nonetheless. Same goes for the lyrics, since they can be pretty teen-cheesy at times. I'm not really digging the meta line in "My Friends" ("And we might die trying to cross state lines/ but we'll never regret it") which is a shame, 'cuz the melody is ballin'. "Cancer," my personal favorite track, has some pretty heavy and intense lyrics that are equally promising. Vocalist Jonathan Dimitri has the youthfulness of Title Fight but other than that it's pretty run-of-the-mill Midwest-y emo singing (not a bad thing at all). Manor is pretty consistent for the most part, only slowing down -- in my opinion, anyway -- during the (aforementioned) eighth track, "My Friends."

Like I said, they're all pretty young so their best musical days are ahead of them. Get stoked.

Recommended tracks: "Driver," "Cancer"
For fans of: Tigers Jaw, Get Up Kids, Saves the Day, Joyce Manor

No comments:

Post a Comment